Gary Roberts

Comments and requests to DOFANTASY.COM artists and art staff. Send your ideas, fantasies, stories, whatever you want to see in a coming DOFANTASY.COM comic.
Kul Straff

Re: Gary Roberts

Post by Kul Straff »

Absolutely Roberts. The process it's not profitable for today's standards.. or any time soon. Let leave the japaneses do the heavy lifting for the moment! hahaha!
As you said, it's all about the iconography human sindrome versus realism. There are studies on the subject. When a person is confronted with an "imperfect image", a "cartoon", an "icon", then his/her mind will fill the gaps. The mind will take what it needs from that image, and it will BUILD what needs to be builded. Because the simplicity, or "imperfection", makes room for the mind to play and engage in the game presented by the icon representation.
When a person is confronted with a "perfect depiction", like a plastic doll, the imaginative process just shuts down, the person can't interact emotionally with something that has no gaps, no challenging for the reason, no room for his/her mind to play along. Anyone can corroborate that strange fact anytime. It's just the way it is, so you have the advantage sir by commandment of Nature itself. 8-)
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

I am my own test subject.
Brenda too...
If it doesn't get me hard, it's not a pretty girl..and I always want to draw pretty girls.
dougeee

Post by dougeee »

Roberts I read that you worked for Disney. Were you their during Aladden, Beauty and the Beast and Lion King.

If so was all that subliminal message stuff purposely added or is it just people seeing shadows? And does aladden really tell teenage girls to take their clothes off?

I don't know if you have seen Tangled and Frozen but what is with Disney putting their princesses in bondage these days?

Thanks for the time

Dougeee
Thon

Post by Thon »

Kul Straff wrote:When a person is confronted with an "imperfect image", a "cartoon", an "icon", then his/her mind will fill the gaps. The mind will take what it needs from that image, and it will BUILD what needs to be builded. Because the simplicity, or "imperfection", makes room for the mind to play and engage in the game presented by the icon representation.
Ain't that the same as with sunglasses, lingerie and hair covering parts of the face? The observer's mind fills the 'gaps' with the best features imaginable. Hence, partly covered is more sexy than naked...
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Disney?...no, I'd actually be proud of Disney if there were something that devious and clever going on there..even in the early to mid 90's when I was doing contract work for them in Orlando, it was nicknamed the Tragic Kingdom..the upper management of that massive corporation couldn't find it's own ass with both hands...anything brilliant coming out of Disney is almost assuredly accidental these days. this goes back to the snubbing of Jeff Katzenberg by Michael Eisner, Eisner being THE prototype Asshole CEO..clueless about everything. Jeff K. MADE Disney Animation..he's responsible for all those good films you mention.Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, etc etc...Jeff K. knew you had to spend TIME and MONEY to get great animated films, and Eisner hated him for it. Katzenberg was passed over for the Head Position and an outsider was brought in, and thus DreamWorks was born...the SKG is Spielberg, Katzenberg, Geffen.
Jeff said "f@ck You" to Disney and went big..and Dreamworks has been kicking Disneys' ass ever since.
Sure, there's some tasty little adult jokes in those films..why not? It's part of why they're great fun...they're not just silly crap for 3 yr olds..you want to sell tickets? Put something in there Mom and Dad can enjoy too. THAT was the principle, not some devious plot for Mind Control..the only Mind Control Disney is EVER interested in is mind control that makes you buy their stuff.
dougeee

Post by dougeee »

ROBERTS wrote:Disney?...no, I'd actually be proud of Disney if there were something that devious and clever going on there..even in the early to mid 90's when I was doing contract work for them in Orlando, it was nicknamed the Tragic Kingdom..the upper management of that massive corporation couldn't find it's own ass with both hands...anything brilliant coming out of Disney is almost assuredly accidental these days. this goes back to the snubbing of Jeff Katzenberg by Michael Eisner, Eisner being THE prototype Asshole CEO..clueless about everything. Jeff K. MADE Disney Animation..he's responsible for all those good films you mention.Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, etc etc...Jeff K. knew you had to spend TIME and MONEY to get great animated films, and Eisner hated him for it. Katzenberg was passed over for the Head Position and an outsider was brought in, and thus DreamWorks was born...the SKG is Spielberg, Katzenberg, Geffen.
Jeff said "f@ck You" to Disney and went big..and Dreamworks has been kicking Disneys' ass ever since.
Sure, there's some tasty little adult jokes in those films..why not? It's part of why they're great fun...they're not just silly crap for 3 yr olds..you want to sell tickets? Put something in there Mom and Dad can enjoy too. THAT was the principle, not some devious plot for Mind Control..the only Mind Control Disney is EVER interested in is mind control that makes you buy their stuff.
So that stuff about spelling sex in the trees in Beauty in the Beast or spelling sex after Simba sees his father is just people seeing things.. I can't see it even after people pointed it out. To be honest I think it is people reaching for something. I just wanted to know what you knew about it, if anything, but it sounds like it was just some people making it up.

The story I heard was that a few cartoonist got together and tried to out do each other on how many subliminal messages they could put in without people noticing. Such as putting the word sex in stuff and drawing penises in the image of Ariel's castle in The Little Mermaid.

When you say contract work does that mean you drew a few scenes for them? I've seen some documentaries on how cartoons are made but I'm quit not sure how the whole process is done. I imagine it is a few people working on the movie and they are assign to draw different parts of the movie.

Thank you for the time.
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Drawing and painting an animated film is a tedious complicated high stress job. It takes hundreds of people to do a big production. There is an army of artists all working on various parts which must come together seamlessly. the idea that some renegade artists took time to draw obscene objects or plant words in a scene is beyond stupid. There's no time for that sort of monkey business. It's bullshit.
Only the "key" artists are full time Disney employees..the rest are contractors. Even the "key" people are only employed for their particular production, but that still means 4 or 5 years there if you're in from the design stage. At Disney, nobody is "permanent". Except top level management. They hire and fire great artists like janitors there.
dougeee

Post by dougeee »

i take that you wouldn't return. that sucks that they go through so many artist. Did you always want to work for them or did you just see a job opening and took it?

Sorry for all the questions. I hope I'm not intruding.

Some where on the board I wrote that Starfuckers was my favorite comic of yours, however I just remembered Secret Police. I really liked that one. In particular the dialogue that is in that one I find very interesting and entertaining.
Demosthenes

Post by Demosthenes »

ROBERTS wrote:Disney?...no, I'd actually be proud of Disney if there were something that devious and clever going on there..even in the early to mid 90's when I was doing contract work for them in Orlando, it was nicknamed the Tragic Kingdom..the upper management of that massive corporation couldn't find it's own ass with both hands...anything brilliant coming out of Disney is almost assuredly accidental these days. this goes back to the snubbing of Jeff Katzenberg by Michael Eisner, Eisner being THE prototype Asshole CEO..clueless about everything. Jeff K. MADE Disney Animation..he's responsible for all those good films you mention.Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, etc etc...Jeff K. knew you had to spend TIME and MONEY to get great animated films, and Eisner hated him for it. Katzenberg was passed over for the Head Position and an outsider was brought in, and thus DreamWorks was born...the SKG is Spielberg, Katzenberg, Geffen.
I guess their partnership with Pixar more or less saved them after Katzenberg left?
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Yes, Pixar was direct competition against Dreamworks..the battle rages to this day.

One of the more heinous policies of Disney which began while I was still doing projects there, was to take their big hit tentpole movies and do a sequel..not trying to improve or add to it..but as cheap and fast as possible. the Orlando animation dept. got most of this sequel work, and nobody there is really very proud of anything they did while there. It was high pressure, low budget, completely inflexible corporate work, with no soul in it. Bad, just bad.
They seem to be continuing the habit with their "Cars" digital movies and the nauseating "Planes" which is just barf.