Gary Roberts

Comments and requests to DOFANTASY.COM artists and art staff. Send your ideas, fantasies, stories, whatever you want to see in a coming DOFANTASY.COM comic.
Kul Straff

Re: Gary Roberts

Post by Kul Straff »

ROBERTS wrote:OK you guys, tell me..if you dare...what exactly IS it about that very first "Black Van"?
Why did THAT one make such a hit?
Good question. To analize the 'ground zero' of a success is always smart, interesting and useful. Roberts said that Black Van wasn't an artistic 'masterpiece', but I differ. One of the keys of that success was the artistic element. We KNEW that there was a PRO behind it, not some amateur. It wasn't some laughable artistic attempt, this guy was serious about the quality of his stuff. You could tell that there was a COMIC ARTIST behind it, maybe some known artist under a fake name, maybe some rogue artist going crazy, but it certainly was a Pro's work... and it was, now we know the guy worked for Disney, same as in several media platforms, he does realistic high quality pin up art too, etc.

The next element maybe the most important, as some users here already explained, was the 'no bullshiting around' factor, the right to the point element is key. Roberts is a 'right to the point' kinda person, and that shows in his art. Nobody wants to lose time, everyone wants the 'hard to get' experience to be good, fast, clear and to the point. And Roberts offered just that.

Black Van was that rare 'real deal' uncensored option, back in the corporated comic business days, when we had to get our dirty comics in the stores. No one would dare to publish something like Black Van and put it on the streets... So, to offer the quality comic you couldn't get any other way and publish it right in people's screens was a move destined to succeed.

I would say, it was Roberts's visceral passion, balls of steel, unbreakable commitment, madness and artistic skills what gave him the upper hand in that comic BDSM first e-wave. Each one of those elements were necessary to get it done.

Now the scenario is totally different, the 'Real Deal' is no more, it got swallowed and drowned by the internet's tsunami of peer-to-peer instant data delivery. So, a 'Real Artist' is not what it used to be. There's not an 'official' quality scale anymore, like in the past, when only the 'best' could get their stuff published in a quality magazine, in a quality store and get the best spot inside that store... OR getting a frigging JOB in the frigging Disney CORP. There was a whole system designed to purge the artist's quality, and put the best on top, build the 'Real Artists'. Now that system is destroyed, no comic artist would get a 'job' in a building, sit in a desk, get done with his labour day and go home. That system is over, and the new young wannabe artists are completely lost.

Another obvious element to have into account: High value media productions needs lots and lots of agreements to get through just to reach a sketch board. A comic can be done by one single person. No matter how high the CORP rises the technical bar in the production comic market, a single guy, a pen and some paper, still can get it done. In a world market scene where 'fair competition' gets stomped and decapitated mercilessly, the CORP must HATE TO DEATH a 'guy' who can get it done by himself. That's why nations in search for self-dependence gets missiles in their asses.

Roberts was in the right place at the right time, with the will to do what he wanted to do, before the system knew what was going on. Now the system accommodated itself to the new scenario: people doesn't need anymore to run to the streets to get what they want. Now the 'obsolete' system ladder has to be builded again, and it is being re-done by the minute. We can see it everyday: Youtube, Facebook, Paypal, Amazon, Blogspot, Skype, Appstore, Android, Flash, server/data store services, google-search-results ranking, yahoo news, etc... that's the new corporated ladder system. It would take hundreds of interesting lines to analize and discuss this new SYSTEM in construction, where is it going, how to climb inside it... but let's talk about something quite more nice...

Lovely Roberts girls! It's that 80'/90's vibe on them that I like specially. The high-cut line on their 'wardrobe', the always athletic body, that sorta 'disney princess' feel to them faces. Roberts style reminds me of the cuteness of some Ariel little mermaid, the hottest Disney babe in my opinion.
Roberts lines make their bodies look so soft, you can almost touch-feel the soft curvy skin, feel the warmth of their skin line.

Here's a humble personal take on the Roberts girl type. I gave her the white bandana, the classic 80's 'walkman' and white sneakers... I wonder what is she listening to on that cassette, some Bon jovi perhaps?... Maybe Roberts has a better soundtrack choose for her...

Image FIXED >> Image
Last edited by Kul Straff on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

Oh C'mon, i never draw thighs that big...
fernandofan

Post by fernandofan »

Well said, Kul Straf! Yes, Roberts' mastery was evident right from the start, and the courage he exhibited in putting something so brazenly counter to societal norms out there for all to see---he's got it going on like Don Corleone! He was driving around on a Harley while others were still attempting to invent the wheel!

You write like a very learned man---maybe we can co - teach the Gary Roberts college course. It needs a name...how about "Insidious Inking 101"? Or maybe something more direct like "American Masturbatorypieces: Hot-Ass Drawn Bitches". Hmmm...open to suggestions... :ugeek:
Kul Straff

Post by Kul Straff »

ROBERTS wrote:Oh C'mon, i never draw thighs that big...
Yeah, actually at first I thought it was her head the thing that was way out of proportion (too small), but I heard ya. As her legs were going thinner, the better the head proportion looked. ;)

I still want my girls to look something like the first girl in this 90s bikini contest! Man, that Tanya is a beast! :44
http://youtu.be/EmTINPUay0w
Kul Straff

Post by Kul Straff »

Hi Fernandofan, nice to meet you. You're right man, you gave a perfect explanation of why that comic nailed it. It was about all those fantasies and secret 'writings' everyone of us did sometime in our lives. I remember in my teen days writing stuff all day, hundreds of tales, hundreds man. We felt the urge to satisfy that fantasy abyss because there was not a product to fill that empty spot.
When I saw Black Van I was shocked, not because of the 'content', but because I realized of this: "Holy shit, someone went and actually did it!". Stuff like this can be done by good artists!
It was an early sign that we all could be free to do comics from all those fantasy tales we had hidden in some secret box in a dark corner.
About the college course on depravity's triumph, I don't know, I could name dozens of titles!... But I would like to keep the 'American' word in it... something like >AMERICAN F@CK FORCE ONE< - TITS ON PAPER - hahaha!!!
:22
Rubberstrap

Post by Rubberstrap »

Kul Straff wrote: It was about all those fantasies and secret 'writings' everyone of us did sometime in our lives. I remember in my teen days writing stuff [...] to satisfy that fantasy abyss because there was not a product to fill that empty spot.
A -- f@cking -- firmative. I did the drawing, too, but my writing proved to be much better.
fernandofan

Post by fernandofan »

Yeah, seeing Black Van years ago was like a "Jerry McGuire" moment for me: "Finally! Someone drew it!" Another re purposed quote from the film: "You had me at 'Suck it, bitch!' "

For me his comic really inspired me to work harder on my own drawings. The realism of his work was just amazing to me and made me want to strive to come somewhere close to what he did. Um...I'm still miles away. :234
Naj

Post by Naj »

Practice makes perfect.
fernandofan

Post by fernandofan »

Thanks for the encouragement, Naj. I could also use more time too!!! One thing about the fans of some of these artists don't always realize is just how much time it takes to draw a quality picture (let alone coloring and all that other jazz).

Still, an update to Roberts-comics.com would be nice...
ROBERTS

Post by ROBERTS »

SORRY guys...updates on the way NOW...

New pages going into "TAKEN"